Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Gearing up for 307T

Greetings to my new blog audience, my 307T students. I'm getting excited about the start of our summer session. I plan to use my blog to post my own thoughts and observations throughout the course. You're feedback and insights are welcome.
For now, I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on digital writing in general. The class will vary greatly in terms of ability. Where do you think you stand? Do you feel comfortable with digital composing technology? Uncomfortable? As a note, this class is very much an introduction, so allow me to calm any fears you might have. I will be grading on your reflections, analysis, and intellectual processing of this technology, not so much on the execution, so fear not!

2 comments:

  1. Digital writing is an important part of life today. It affects our personal and professional lives. I am relatively comfortable with digital writing. I am able to compose effective emails, text messages, and electronic memos/letters with ease. However, I question my ability to write effectively to the audiences on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In. I believe there should be an etiquette guidebook on how to write most effectively in each of those social links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you say that. There are techniques out there for social media writing, but they're often studied/employed by professionals (public relations practitioners, social media marketing experts, etc.). When it comes to social media for social sake, the rules of etiquette apply just as much as they would in any other social situation (as unspoken yet widely known rules). As a result, posts and tweets, when used in that way, seem to be very similar to oral communication -- quick, carefree, and often better when they don't seem planned. You should bring this up in class tonight.

    ReplyDelete